Friday, July 17, 2009

Changes?

"And the days went by, like paper in the wind. Everything changed, then changed again." Tom Petty

It's so funny how things change. You leave high school, and you absolutely CANNOT wait to start college, make new friends, leave all the drama of high school behind. Well, that's how I was, anyway. Don't get me wrong. I loved high school. I had a handful of some of the best friends you could ever ask for, and many acquaintances that made days and life entertaining. But I was ready to graduate. I was ready for new people, and I was ready for a change in scenery. The same, circular (yes, our high school was weird-built in two circles) walls everyday
 got old.

I loved college. One of my BEST friends from high school stayed and went to good ol' WKU as well. In fact, we were supposed to be roommates. When I ended up not moving to campus, she got a random roommate. Since Ashlee and I were sticking close together in those first few months, I became fast friends with her roommate too. We all became extremely close, and ended up on a spring break trip together to Gulf Shores, Alabama to our friends family condo. This girl knew a group of people that were also going to be in Gulf Shores, and we hung out with them several times that week. That "random" group of individuals included my husband
. How crazy? One change in plans not to move up to campus literally CHANGED my life.


Freshman year ended, and Ashlee's roommate changed things up again by not returning to WKU in the fall. I had met so many people through Jason, and my entire group of friends changed dramatically. By the end of college, our group had narrowed quite a bit due to graduations, jobs, and relocations.

Then of course, things changed again when Jason and I decided to get married. Things changed to include Jason's first full-time job, me leaving my parents house for the first time, graduating, buying our first home, taking sole responsibility of EVERY bill, etc. But you all remember this post?  My bittersweet lessons on true friendship and fake friendships?  The happiest time in my life did not only change my personal life with my husband, but it also changed my life with the understanding of a true friendship.

Since my wedding, I have spent my summer evenings with my wonderful family, my sweet husband, and some of the truest friends I will ever have and have ever had.  My two VERY best friends from high school and I have always made time for each other.  Regardless of our location, our job status, our school status, or how many new friends we made-there was always time for these two.  And they always made time for me.


Every once in a while, I think about how I couldn't wait to get out of high school.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't want to go back.  But I think about how many changes I wanted in my life, and I got them.  But as the circle completes, I'm right back to where I started from.  Sure, there are some people this time around that are here that weren't the first time.  But, these two have been a constant in my life.

It's funny how things change.  But the best part of it all, it's funny how they don't.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

oh paigey. what a cute post!!! so sentimental :] it will be really fun to look back on this in a few years and see how much your life has changed AGAIN :] so exciting!