Thursday, April 30, 2009

Swine Flu?

So, ok.  It's not REALLY called the swine flu anymore.  They are now calling it H1N1 Influenza A.  Looks like the hiney flu to me!!!!  Get it H1NI (hiney?).  Oh nevermind.  :)

Anyway, YES.  We are still going to Mexico in a month.  That's right guys, we are within 30 days of our wedding, AND our fabulous Mexican honeymoon.  We are going to be just south of Cancun, which according to the map I have been following does NOT show outbreaks anywhere near it.  I know that they are saying that someone from our area is in Georgia with a case of it, and recently returned from Cancun.  But how does that work?  Someone that went to Cancun comes home and gets sick, but there are no reported individuals from that area.  FAR from it actually.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I did check my map a bit ago, but maybe they aren't updating it quickly enough.

Anyway, unless President Obama closes all borders to travelers (which the CDC says would not be logical or economically beneficial) then we plan to go on with our plans.  Our resort IS offering a switch from our original location to their sister location in the Dominican Republic (with no charge) if this occurs or if someone feels safer this way. And airlines are being super generous by waiving the change fees as well.  Of course, we have to sit tight until our date falls into these time windows, so we won't know for sure until even closer to time.  

The only other way we would NOT go to Mexico is if everything is shut down besides the resort. Currently, many off site restaurants, churches, schools, and other locations are shut down in hopes of slowing down the spread of the virus.  Which is incredibly smart in my opinion.  However, if I'm going to go to the country, I want to see the place! I want to visit the ruins, and participate in the many included tours and excursions we paid for along with relaxing in the sun.  If for some reason we catch wind that these tours and excursions are cancelled for our week, we may consider switching to the Dominican so that we can have the opportunity to leave the resort and take advantage of the included tours and excursions there.  So we are sitting tight, planning to take our trip as normal unless something extreme happens. Regardless, I AM going SOMEWHERE in 30 days.  Jason and I need a vacation so badly, we WILL find somewhere to go.  

I know this thing is scary.  I know it's a new strand of the flu that we have never experienced before and don't have a vaccine for.  BUT really.  People die from the regular flu every single day.  People catch the regular flu. The "hiney" flu can be treated just as easily as a "regular" flu virus.  Plus, this thing has already spread so much that Jason and I are at just as high of a risk of catching it here at home as we would be in Mexico.  We plan to be cautious, take Vitamin C, wash our hands frequently, and treat this as any other illness.  Make sure we are as healthy as possible, and see a doctor if either of us begins to feel sick.  

On this same topic-you have to read this conversation my family and I had via facebook today.  A lot of what I said is repeated in here, but there are some pretty funny remarks.  So as requested by Amy, here it is (I'm editing the names in here for you guys!):  

Heather Curses the Swine Flu
Rita
Me too Heady.....I dont like the fact that it is possibly in our area now. Keep those babies home
Paige
Me too! We are leaving for Mexico soon!
Rita
Rita
Heather
Paige
Rita
Heather
Paige
Paige
Destiny
Paige
Heather
Julia
Amy
Paige
Angela

So there you have it guys.  My take on the hiney flu!
Feeling sick?  Check out these two links to see if you might have the swine flu!!   :) They are pretty accurate ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Don't lick anyone. You crack me up! And yes...I have seen the second link. But I hadn't seen the first one. I think that one made me laugh harder. I dont really know why. Haha. Anyways, thanks for this!