Tuesday, December 20, 2011

This House Believes

Our home believes in Christmas, and the magic of Christmas.  Our home doesn't believe in forcing our faith in God upon you, but we are willing to share it if you will allow us.  Our home believes in God throughout the year, not just at Christmas.  I promise this isn't going to get all preachy preachy on you, so just hang with me for a paragraph or two.  Feel free to disagree with me and discuss your own beliefs in the comment section or in a private e-mail, but I ask that you please be respectful to all those involved in the conversation.

Our views on Christmas are a bit unorthodox for most Christian homes. While we do believe in the story of the birth of Christ, we do not believe in celebrating the birth of Christ on December 25.  Our belief is that we are to focus on the life and death of Jesus Christ every day, and observe communion every week in remembrance.  We believe in not designating one single day for the birth, life, and death of Jesus, but rather believe that these events should be in our hearts every day, and remember them each time we attend a worship service (for us is usually just Sunday morning).

However, while our views on Christmas are a bit different, we celebrate Christmas anyway.  Why? Because we do encourage any opportunity for the topic of our Christian beliefs to be discussed and focused on.  We always encourage and feel excited anytime there is opportunity to discuss our faith and our beliefs.  Christmastime is usually a great opportunity to share.  We celebrate family, we celebrate giving, we celebrate the season where awareness for generosity and good deeds are elevated.  We celebrate love.

In the south, there is always a HUGE debate and a lot of anger among believers about phrasing "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" when encountering strangers throughout the season.  A lot of Christian believers feel insulted when someone utters "Happy Holidays" over "Merry Christmas" and feel very passionate over it.  I do not.  Christmas is one of the MANY holidays throughout this season, not the only one. (Note: I do however, believe in calling trees Christmas trees instead of Holiday Trees.  I'm not sure what other holiday puts up a tree, therefore making that particular tree designated for the specific holiday. Someone please educate me if I'm ignorant to a tradition in another holiday that utilizes the tree as a tradition, I'd love to know!)

While gazing through the internet the other day, I saw something very interesting that provoked my thoughts for this post.  It said something along the lines of:  "If you are Jewish, I expect you to say Happy Hanukkah; if you are Christian, I expect you to say Merry Christmas; if you are African American, I expect to tell me Happy Kwanzaa; and if you don't wish to specify, say Happy Holidays.  I won't be offended, I will just be thankful you stopped to say something nice to me."  Whatever you believe, share it with the world.  Share it respectfully, but share it.  A difference in beliefs does not have to mean a conversation of hate and animosity.  Allow yourself to be open to new ideas, and to offer your ideas to others.  This is the season of believing, and you never know when you will restore someone's faith that may have been lost.  You never know when you will inspire someone. Chris Creed, I'm stealing your phrase and say: "Stop waiting to be inspired; be inspiring."  Share what you believe, share what you are passionate about.

Whatever you believe, I hope you believe in it with all your heart.  No matter what it may be, I hope that your home is one that believes.  Whatever you believe, I wish you a beautiful season of happiness, love and laughter.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from our family to yours.

2 comments:

Karen Smith said...

I believe in you, beautiful lady. You are beautiful inside and out!

Annette said...

I agree, beautifully said!