Thursday, December 8, 2011

From Stay at Home Mom to Working Mom

I've found a new job.

It's a bittersweet time for us, because I am so sad to be returning to work.  I have been offered a job from an employer that I have known for years, and worked closely with during my time before my previous job  in therapeutic support.  Jason and I have had our prayers answered to find a job for me with incredible flexibility, good pay, and an understanding environment.  I couldn't have asked for a better situation to fall into our laps, and we are incredibly blessed that it has.

It was important for me to be able to say in an interview: "I have a small child, and while I never intend to take advantage of caring for him, I need for it to be acceptable that I take him to the doctor when he is ill.  I need for you to understand that I have to be with him when he needs me.  I have every intention of working my ass off while I'm here, and plan to be here as much as possible.  But my child will always come first."  I knew the second I got the phone call about this job that I could say that to this employer.  I did and those statements were accepted not only without blinking an eye, but with enthusiasm that they wouldn't dream of another option for a mother.  A boss with small children himself, and a wife that is at home with them, understands a child's need (and a mother's need) to be together as much as possible.  Sometimes it isn't financially possible to be together all the time, so a job with flexibility is the next best option.  That option was given to us, and we are so relieved.

I'm going to miss being with Ethan full time, but I know that my Mom is the best option to care for him if it can't be me.  Thank goodness she is willing to be Ethan's caregiver while I return to work part-time, and that he doesn't have to enter daycare.  I do want Ethan to become involved in some type of social program after he is a bit older, but I am so relieved that his infancy will be spent outside of daycare with someone I trust completely.

I am still hoping that one day I can return to time as a stay at home mom, but thank goodness that my transition into a working mom will be as easy as it can be.  While I am still SO angry about my situation with my previous employer, I am truly thankful that the situation allowed me to be at home for Ethan's first 6 months of his life.  While I had hoped for a year, I was given more full time with him than most mothers that have to work outside of the home.  For that, I am thankful.

Mommas that work outside of the home, I need your wisdom! How do we make this transition even easier?

No comments: