Thursday, September 15, 2011

My New BFF

Have I told you about my new best friend lately? Seriously, I had no idea that something could be in your face so much and overlook it for so long.  Then suddenly, BAM.  Smacks you in the face and you are instant best friends.  This is definitely not a relationship that needed time to grow slowly.  We are officially inseparable.  Well, on my end anyway.

These days, it's all about the crock pot.

Why did I always think that the crock pot was for keeping soups warm?!  Who knows, who cares, but that crock pot has become my new favorite household item for just about everything.  I don't have to worry about thawing out chicken or pork, I can just throw it completely frozen straight into the crock pot with my choices of sauce for the day and walk away.  Ethan sure is appreciating that crock pot too, because it gives us a lot more snuggle time.

One of our current favorites is barbeque chicken.  All of these recipes I will post are recipes I found on Pinterest (another new BFF, why did it take so long for me to get on that thing!?) so feel free to find me and find the links that I have repinned.

You only need a few things:

Chicken (breasts, leg, wings, whatever) thawed or frozen.  I personally prefer to throw it in frozen to enable my laziness.

1 bottle of BBQ sauce (any flavor or brand will do, we like to do a sweet and spicy one, but it really doesn't matter)
1/4 cup of vinegar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
Red Pepper Flakes (the recipe calls for 1 tsp, but we add a little more in because we like the spice)
Garlic Powder (the recipe calls for 1/2 to 1 tsp, we always go for the 1/2 because it is so strong.

Throw frozen chicken in the bottom of the crock pot.  Mix all other ingredients together and pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Ta-da!

How easy is that?!  We love how tender the meat is in the crock pot since it is cooked so slowly, we rarely use our oven for meat anymore, unless it is in a casserole of some sort.

Anyway, I need to go have a meeting with my new BFF.  It's so cold out today, I'm thinking BFF needs to make some tortilla soup. :)

3 comments:

Erika said...

We love ours too! Jason is the cook in the house and he made some awesome ribs the other night with coke...makes them super tender!

Shannon said...

Paigey you're the best! I just added this to my list for the week :) yum!

Jax said...

LOVE IT! Thank you for this! I really want to use my crock pot more! I get scared b/c our electric is outdated so I worry about a possible fire. But, seriously, when I move somewhere with more modern wiring, I am ALL about it.