Thursday, November 15, 2012

Learning to Say No

We've hit the stage in Ethan's toddler years that he says no to almost everything.  Remind me in 6 months that I thought it was the cutest thing ever.

I'll admit that I am really afraid that our next baby will be stressful, difficult, and completely overwhelming because we have been so lucky with Ethan.  He has been such an easy baby (most of the time).  He eats well without any reactions to any foods, he sleeps well, and he ENJOYS alone time.  In the mornings that I don't work, he wakes up between 7:30 and 8:00, but he doesn't want anyone in there with him for at least 30 minutes after he wakes up.  He likes to wake up slowly, play with his stuffed puppy (Ruff), and jabber until he gets himself completely woken up.

Once he's ready for you to come in his room, he still doesn't want to get out of his bed for another 30 minutes or so.  We play the game of tossing Ruff in and out of the crib, pick his clothes out, and pick up any stray toys we missed from picking up the night before.  Sometimes this process is so long that I leave and come back several times before he's ready.  How do I know if he isn't ready? When I try picking him up, he will free fall his entire body back onto the mattress to show he is still content in his crib.  His long wake up process doesn't bother me in the least, it's amazing how much I can get done while he plays contently in his crib.

He's usually pretty irritable that we have to cut this routine short on the mornings I have to work, but he doesn't fuss too much, just enough to let me know he isn't happy about it.

Here's a little clip of his morning "don't get me out of bed."  I wish I had been able to get him diving back onto his mattress, but of course he wouldn't while the camera is on.  However, you will hear many times his new strong ability to tell me no in his "uh-uh" way.    

How did I get so lucky to get such a sweet boy?

P.S. Don't forget to enter my giveaway for 25 free 5x7 Christmas cards!!  You can gain new entries every day!

No comments: