Monday, June 21, 2010

A Daily Saga for You to Enjoy...

I have a swap to share with you guys, but I haven't taken pictures of it yet, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. :( Sorry! I promise I'll get it to you soon.  Anyway, my family had quite the over dramatic evening, and I'm completely willing to take full blame of the sequence of events you are about to read.

A few base facts to get you started:
I work in a nearby county (about 25 minutes away) that I drive back and forth to each day.
I call my Mom on my way home from work EVERY SINGLE DAY.
If she does not answer, she calls me within minutes of my home arrival to make sure I made it home ok.
Kentucky has terrible humidity.
My Daddy is a hero UPS driver and suffers the heat each day.
Due to the circumstances of my Daddy's job, my Mom works extra hard to help take care of the yard so he can cool off in the evenings.
My sweet Mom has a long history of fainting-for multiple different reasons.

So today was about 101 degrees here in Kentucky, with terrible humidity.  I'm not exaggerating when I say you can break a sweat within seconds of stepping outside.  I left my office around 5:05, and called my Mom as soon as I walked out the door.  No answer.  It only rang twice before going straight to voicemail, so I assumed she was on the phone with my sister, and headed home.

5:20-I'm halfway home and call my parent's land line.  No answer.

5:35-I arrive home.

6:00-I find it odd that Mom has yet to call me, and try again.  Nothing.

6:01-I call my sister, to find out when the last time she spoke with Mom, just to make sure everything was ok.  She had not talked with her since around 2:00 pm.

6:05-I begin to worry about the heat, and call and check on my Dad to see if he was home yet and not in the middle of a heat stroke.

6:06- Dad is totally fine (still about an hour from getting home), but informs me that he tried to call Mom and got no answer.  He questions if I've talked with her.  I begin to worry.

6:10-My sister calls.  I inform her that Dad has also not spoken with her, and I wonder if she's mowing.  My sister cites that she mentioned feeling really hot and tired around 2.  I begin to over dramatically worry that Mom has tried to mow the yard, and passed out due to heat.

6:11-My sister decides to drive to my parents house to check on her.  We begin the over dramatic freak out.  I consistently blow her phone and the land line up during the entire 10 minute drive.

6:20-Mom calls as soon as we pull onto her street.  She's been mowing, did not hear her phone, and confused why she has 7 missed calls on her call (only to later discover the 11 missed calls on her land line.)

6:21-We pull in the driveway sheepishly, with Mom laughing at us.

6:25- Dad has already informed us that he has some hand-grown vegetables for my sister and I from that Mennonite community he delivers to.  We decide to wait for him to arrive home and get our vegetables, as well as see Dad for a few minutes.

6:30- I call Jason to inform him that everything is ok, but we would be a bit before coming home.

6:35- My sister is STILL trying to get in touch with her husband (who has been complaining of a potential kidney stone all day).

6:40-My sister begins to worry about her husband, and requests that Jason go check on him (since we live so close to each other).

6:45-Jason returns our call and let us know that Riley has locked themselves out of the house when they went to greet the pizza man.  I laugh and let him know we'll be home soon.

6:50-I call Jason back and tell him to just take Adam and Riley to our house until we can get there.  Jason informs me that I'm way off, and that Riley has locked Adam out of the house with Riley still IN the house.  I'm informed that we need to get home IMMEDIATELY because Riley refuses to unlock the door, but is screaming incessantly for Adam to come inside.

6:51-We begin to fly BACK home, being the only ones with a key or access to get inside the house to rescue Riley (and Adam, who is now in a state of panic because of Riley's scream in fear.)

7:00-We get back home, fly into the house and Ashley begins to comfort Riley.  Riley is still very upset, and keeps telling us "I locked the door.  I broke the door!" Riley did pull off the "baby-proof" doorknob holder, but the door was not broken.  Bless her heart, she was so afraid, and could not wait to be cuddled by her Mommy and Daddy.

Sigh.  All is now well with the world.  Our Mom is totally fine, Riley is fine, and Ashley and Adam are also fine.  This also could have been 100% prevented had I just waited patiently for my Mom to return my call.

Today, is my "Idiot" day of the week. :)


Jess said...

LOL! I'm so glad that everyone is ok!

This sort of thing happens in my family, all the time. If you can't get a hold of a person, it immediately starts a phone chain and panic.

Amy Lynn said...

Oh my goodness... you guys are just too much!

Brittney Galloway said...

wow wow wow! That was alot! Glad everything turned out okay!

Annette said...

Oh my goodnes, Paige! What a dramatic day for all of you!!! Sorry I did have to laugh, but at that point I knew everyone was okay!! So glad all is well and your mom was just busy and Miss Riley survived the "lock-in"! Poor baby! Mama said there'd be days like this, there'll be days like this my mama said! Sending a great big hug! You and your sis might want to exchange keys in the event of another mishap, you never know......

Annie said...

you crack me up!! this was just too funny! i'm so glad everyone was fine!! i'm totally the same way though! when i don't hear from my fiance for hours i automatically assume something is wrong and start to worry. it doesn't help that we live across the street from a fire station either...every time the truck leaves i think of my family immediately. ugh...i need to relax ;)

Brittany Ann said...

Oh my! I have been there! I'd have freaked, too! I'm a worrier, so I always err on the side of caution! At least it shows how much you love your family!